[NNTP] Snapshot 4

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Fri Dec 3 06:15:02 PST 2004

Kai Henningsen said:
>> - I still don't understand the reasoning for the '_' used in the core
>> capability tokens.  It makes things look ugly and I don't see any
>> technical benefit.  I guess I can live with it except for LIST (see below).
>
> It's a completely misguided attempt at namespace cleanliness. The reason
> it's misguided is that we have private tokens starting with X.

Wrong.

The intent was not to separate private tokens from others; as you say,
we've reserved X for that.

The intent was to separate core protocol capabilities from extension
capabilities. I can't see a specific need *right now*, but I was trying to
be forward-looking and ensure that, should it be necessary, clients could
make the distinction without having to have a built-in list of core
capability names.

However, as we've evolved the concepts during discussion, it's become less
clear that there is a meaningful distinction (particularly with things like
the SASL capability). So I'm going to get rid of the underlines.