[NNTP] Language for extensions and capabilities

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Thu Dec 2 13:28:19 PST 2004

Now that we've moved from LIST EXTENSIONS to [LIST ] CAPABILITIES, how
should the documents refer to the tokens advertised by CAPABILITIES?
Currently, we call them "extension label" in the text (or at least I do)
and the ABNF calls them "extension-descriptor".  Should we continue to
use one of these, or should we just refer to them as "capability"?  I'm
reworking the AUTHINFO draft to use a separate capability to list the
SASL mechanisms, and now I'm in a situation where I have the "AUTHINFO
extension label" and the "SASL capability".

I'd like to standarize some way of referring to these tokens.  Thoughts?

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127