[NNTP] [2501] Reader commands in transit servers and vice-versa

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Thu Dec 2 08:56:30 PST 2004

Russ Allbery wrote:

> Clive D W Feather <clive at demon.net> writes:
>

>>Issue: if a server advertises itself as transit-only, should it be
>>allowed to implement some of the reader-only commands or not?
>

> Yes.  As Andrew pointed out, there's no reason to forbid a server from
> doing this, and it's useful for various purposes.
>
> The question is more whether we want to define a mechanism for the server
> to *tell* a client that it's doing this.  If we don't, then a compliant
> client will never know it can use the commands, won't use them, and
> therefore they'll be there basically only for debugging and for internal
> purposes.
>
> Personally, I think that's fine, and better than the complexity of trying
> to define a way of communicating all this information.  I would rather
> take the route of specifying what the *client* should do based on what the
> server says it supports and simply remain mum on the question of what the
> server might do outside of what it's advertising that it does.

I agree in pricipal, but is a transit-only server which allows "suck"
feeds a common enough case where a "NEWNEWS" argument to the "TRANSIT"
capability would make sense?

We're special-casing the POST command for reader-only servers and
NEWNEWS for transit-only seems similar.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127