[NNTP] Notes on auxiliary documents

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Thu Dec 2 01:00:38 PST 2004

Ken Murchison said:
> Which makes me think about whether 483 makes any sense after
> authentication.  If I've already authenticated without a privacy layer,
> but a group I'm trying to access requires privacy, the only thing I can
> do is quit and reconnect, since neither re-authentication nor STARTLS
> after authentication are allowed.

But a different privacy extension might still be.

483 does NOT REPEAT NOT mean "you must use STARTTLS". It means "you need
privacy to do this". If it turns out that the only privacy extension you
have available won't let you do privacy in this context then, yes, you
should quit and reconnect, but that is not a reason to not use 483. Rather,
the 483 combined with no available privacy extensions (in the CAPABILITIES
output) is a signal that you need to quit and reconnect.