[NNTP] Notes on auxiliary documents

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Dec 1 11:53:33 PST 2004

Russ Allbery wrote:

> Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com> writes:
>

>>The current STARTTLS and AUTHINFO drafts say the following:
>

>>"The server MUST discard any knowledge obtained from the client, such as
>>the current newsgroup and article number, that was not obtained from the
>>TLS/SASL negotiation itself.  Likewise, the client SHOULD discard and
>>MUST NOT rely on any knowledge obtained from the server, such as the
>>list of NNTP service extensions, which was not obtained from the
>>TLS/SASL negotiation itself."
>

> If we keep MODE READER, we're unfortunately probably going to have to put
> in an exception for it, just to make that clear.

I assume you mean that we can't discard the MODE READER state change,
correct?

>>I don't see where having to reselect the group and article would create
>>a great hardship for the client.
>

> Likewise.  I think most clients that are going to negotiate a privacy
> layer are doing it on initial connection right now.

Which makes me think about whether 483 makes any sense after
authentication.  If I've already authenticated without a privacy layer,
but a group I'm trying to access requires privacy, the only thing I can
do is quit and reconnect, since neither re-authentication nor STARTLS
after authentication are allowed.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127