[NNTP] Snapshot 4

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Dec 1 08:30:25 PST 2004

Russ Allbery wrote:

> Clive D W Feather <clive at demon.net> writes:
>
>>Charles Lindsey said:
>

>>>For the record, I would prefer "LIST CAPABILITIES"
>

>>I don't.
>

>>LIST is already a complete mess and the idea of two-part command names is
>>also a complete mess. I can't do much about the ones already there, but I
>>see no reason to make the situation worse.
>

> I don't have any real opinion on this and am happy to let someone make an
> arbitrary decision unless we can come up with a strong argument one way or
> the other.  (Andrew?  You'd said you'd prefer LIST before as well.)

If we're keeping "LIST HEADERS" and "LIST OVERVIEW.FMT" for the many
reasons listed by Russ and Andrew, then I'm in favor of "LIST CAPABILITIES".

> I would prefer to drop LIST EXTENSIONS entirely; it was an invention of
> this working group, has only small (and not very useful) deployment in
> practice, and really doesn't seem useful for any client to send given the
> direction that we're going.  v1 clients wouldn't know anything about it,
> so I don't know how it could provide a bridge.

If "LIST EXTENSIONS" was never formally documented in something other
than a WG draft, then I'm also in favor of dropping it entirely.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127