[NNTP] Snapshot 4

Andrew - Supernews andrew at supernews.net
Wed Dec 1 02:38:06 PST 2004

 >> 3) The command isn't used very frequently (LIST ACTIVE is the only
 >> existing LIST subcommand that gets heavy usage)

 Russ> This is where I don't think that it does.  If clients do what
 Russ> we're going to tell them to do, CAPABILITIES will be used at
 Russ> least once a session, perhaps more.  That may still not qualify
 Russ> as very frequently, but I think it's still as frequent as LIST
 Russ> ACTIVE or perhaps more.

Once per session isn't what I call "very frequently". LIST ACTIVE is
often used thousands of times per session or more (LIST ACTIVE
group.name being a common way to check for new arrivals, being faster
than GROUP).  Anything used only a couple of times per session is down
in the noise in comparison to LIST ACTIVE and the common top-level
commands (ARTICLE, OVER/XOVER, GROUP etc.)

 Russ> Certainly my intention is to hard-code the output of the
 Russ> command except for SASL mechanisms and the needed switches to
 Russ> add or remove commands that aren't available for a particular
 Russ> session and make the command reasonably fast.  Note that
 Russ> currently in INN, we weren't able to share code for LIST
 Russ> EXTENSIONS with the other LIST commands (most of which do all
 Russ> share code).

INN's implementation of the other LIST subcommands is possibly a bit
more rigid than mine is.

--
Andrew, Supernews
http://www.supernews.com