[NNTP] Case sensitivity

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Mon Aug 30 13:10:48 PDT 2004

Forwarded because I'm not sure if it got through to the list originally.

>>   I'm bothered about this restriction to uppercase. The ABNF syntax
>>says that
>> "USER" and "SASL" are case-insensitive, and our only other example ("MSGID"
>> argument to "OVER") is also case-insensitive. The rest of NNTP (e.g. command
>> names) is also case-insensitive.
>>  Consistency with other extensions says that you should add LOWER to
>>this
>> list, or even move to A-CHAR, and be case-insensitive.
>This is mandated by RFC 2222(bis):

Hmm. So:

    aUtHiNfO sAsL PLAIN weeble

is fine but

    authinfo sasl plain weeble

isn't.

You could allow it to be case insensitive (thus requiring the server to
uppercase the method internally). But it's not a major point; I'll leave
it up to you to decide where to go with this.