[ietf-nntp] RE: How to organize the base NNTP draft

Scott Hollenbeck sah at 428cobrajet.net
Wed Apr 21 11:50:11 PDT 2004

Clive's option 2 seems like the right approach to me.  We would just need to
move the extensions document along with the base document (which should
reference the extensions document in appropriate places) so that reviewers
and implementers can get a complete picture.  It would also be necessary to
explain the relationship between any new extensions document and
Informational RFC 2980.  This approach is, however, inconsistent with this
WG's charter, which says:

"2. Include in the same document some reasonable group of existing commonly
used extensions forming a new base functionality for NNTP."

That text clearly describes a need to document some extensions in the base
spec.  Ned provided some other feedback to the IESG describing how we got
where we are that would be helpful to send to this list, but I'll leave that
to Ned (Ned, please forward your comments (or a summary) to the WG mailing
list or give me the OK to do it for you).

I'm still waiting for feedback from Steve Bellovin on Ned's comments.  We
_might_ not have to take very drastic document re-working steps at all.
Let's hold tight until I can get some more information from Steve.  He's
vacationing right now, so I hope to talk to him in the next week or so.

-Scott-