[ietf-nntp] Need to start (and finish!) the SASL draft

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Apr 20 11:29:59 PDT 2004

Clive D W Feather <clive at demon.net> writes:
> Russ Allbery said:

>> After talking with our AD, it looks like the best way to move forward
>> is to make the SASL draft a very high priority and get it released into
>> last call, at which point the base draft can refer to it and they can
>> be published together.

>> Jeff, as I recall, you had a draft basically ready for publication as
>> an I-D, but we hadn't actually published it.  Could you get that
>> submitted as an I-D to serve as a starting point, with whatever changes
>> it had accumulated from the initial draft?

> Would it be simpler to merge the SASL draft into the base document? I'm
> happy to do the editorial work involved as part of producing draft 23
> (which I'll need to do anyway).

One of the other things I was wondering about there is if we need to
include STARTTLS as well.  We do if we want to document any sort of
plain-text authentication, I think, so if we want to include the legacy
AUTHINFO USER/PASS commands, we're going to need the TLS stuff in there.

I'm worried a little about how incredibly long our draft is already.  But
I don't know if splitting at authentication and TLS is actually a useful
split for implementors; probably not.