ietf-nntp LIST EXTENSIONS non-pipelined and non-cacheable?

Peter Robinson pmrobinson at gmx.net
Wed Sep 10 10:05:18 PDT 2003

Clive D.W. Feather <clive at demon.net> wrote:

> Note that what you're saying is:
>
>     [C] DATE
>     [C] AUTHINFO SASL PLAIN asdlfnkasf
>     [S] 111 20030910090204
>     [S] 502 No mechanism available
>
> is fine but, on the other hand:
>
>     [C] LIST EXTENSIONS
>     [C] AUTHINFO SASL PLAIN asdlfnkasf
>     [S] 202 Extension list follows:
>     [S] AUTHINFO USER
>     [S] .
>     [S] 502 No mechanism available
>
> isn't.

This was the status quo before this discussion, which everyone seems to
agree is wrong, but for different reasons.

For the avoidance of doubt, what I want to be able to do is this [1]:

(pipeline LIST EXTENSIONS with base commands:)
  [C] LIST EXTENSIONS
  [C] GROUP misc.test
  [S] 202 Extension list follows:
  [S] OVER
  [S] .
  [S] 211 1234 3000234 3002322 misc.test
  [C] OVER
  [S] 224 Overview information follows
  [etc.]

which is currently forbidden, even though I am permitted to do this:

(use an extension without first trying LIST EXTENSIONS)
  [C] DATE
  [C] GROUP misc.test
  [S] 111 20030910090204
  [S] 211 1234 3000234 3002322 misc.test
  [C] OVER
  [S] 500 Command not recognised

I have no intention of trying this:

(pipelining LIST EXTENSIONS with extensions)
  [C] GROUP misc.test
  [S] 111 20030910090204
  [C] LIST EXTENSIONS
  [C] OVER
  [S] 211 1234 3000234 3002322 misc.test
  [S] 500 Command not recognised
  [S] 202 Extension list follows:
  [S] .

whether it's allowed or not.  It seems like a pretty odd thing to want
to do.

Peter

[1] While the saving from pipelining LIST EXTENSIONS with base commands
is only one round-trip at most, I can turn it on or off by changing a
single 'true' to 'false', so this at least is worth the 'effort' for me!