ietf-nntp LIST EXTENSIONS

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Sep 10 06:52:02 PDT 2003

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

> I think it is. LIST EXTENSIONS provides a way to ensure what is there and
> to know what options are available.

Exactly, so why shouldn't we encourage clients to use it?  The trial and
error method is archaic.

  It should *NOT* be a way of switching
> extensions on and off.

When did I ever say this.  A server MUST NOT require LIST EXTENSIONS to
be used.  Either it supports commands, or it doesn't.  LIST EXTENSIONS
is for client discovery only, no to enable or disable commands.

> But right now I think you're trying to solve a problem in the wrong way and
> breaking things as a result.

Please explain what would be broken.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127