ietf-nntp LIST EXTENSIONS

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Wed Sep 10 00:34:17 PDT 2003

Ken Murchison said:
> old:
> "It is not required that the client issues this command before
> attempting to make use of any extension."
>
> new:
> "Clients SHOULD issue this command before attempting to make use of any
> extension."

Why?

> I think this change reflects the behavior that we would like to promote,
> but also doesn't make existing clients non-compliant.  The existing text
> makes it sound like LIST EXTENSIONS is completely optional, which is not
> what we want IMO.

I think it is. LIST EXTENSIONS provides a way to ensure what is there and
to know what options are available. It should *NOT* be a way of switching
extensions on and off.

> We could also add the following sentence:
>
> "Clients MUST issue this command before attempting to make use of any
> security extension."

I'm not sure where you're coming from here. I'll re-read the thread that
seems to have developed overnight on pipelining and see if it helps. Also
the one on caching the results.

But right now I think you're trying to solve a problem in the wrong way and
breaking things as a result.

Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | *** NOTE CHANGE ***
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Thus plc            |                            | Mobile: +44 7973 377646