ietf-nntp Last major open issue (48x return codes)

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Mon Sep 8 16:11:14 PDT 2003

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com> writes:
> > Russ Allbery wrote:
>
> >> Authentication and privacy are pretty huge buckets that should
> >> encapsulate a world of extensions.
> >
> > We could even generalize these as "security" which is probably a bigger
> > bucket.
>
> That sounds fine to me; I certainly have no objections.

Especially once (some day) it's all SASL-based, and thus the distinction
isn't even relevant to the NNTP negotiation.  (That is, if the server
admin is looking to have authentication required, encryption optional,
then the server will advertise only the relevant mechanisms.)  I can't see
any reason to have them distinguished in that case.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org