ietf-nntp draft-ietf-nntpext-base-19

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sun Sep 7 18:26:19 PDT 2003

Clive D W Feather <clive at demon.net> writes:

> New wording for 5.2.2:

[...]

>     At all points in the session those commands currently listed by LIST
>     EXTENSIONS must be available.  Therefore, if a command defined by an
>     extension (including those in section 8) is only available before or
>     after a MODE READER command, or if the effects of the extension will
>     be changed by the command, the LIST EXTENSIONS command MUST produce
>     different results that indicate the differences.

I think instead of "the effects of the extension" you want to say "the
parameters of the extension" or whatever term we used for the additional
arguments after the first word of the line in LIST EXTENSIONS.  Effects
seems to imply that if the command does something different before MODE
READER than after MODE READER, LIST EXTENSIONS must change (even if the
extension is advertised the same way at both points).  This, of course,
would be a horrible way to design a command, but I also don't think it's
what we want to say.