ietf-nntp LIST EXTENSION caching, latest wording

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Mon Oct 13 04:47:39 PDT 2003

Jeffrey M. Vinocur said:
> Mmm, improving.  Some pedantry --

Always welcome.

>>    While some extensions are likely to be always available or never
>>    available, others will "appear" and "disappear" depending on other
>>    changes.
> "other changes" is awkward/confusing, can you rephrase more precisely?

s/other changes/server state or external events/
is the best I can think of.

>>   An NNTP client may cache the results of this command, but
>>    MUST NOT rely on any cached results - whether from earlier in this
>>    session or from a previous session - remaining correct,
> The interjected phrase there surprises my mental parser, what about "but
> MUST NOT rely on the correctness of any cached results" so the whole
> phrase is together?

Yep.

>>    Furthermore, a client MUST NOT use cached results in
>>    relation to security, privacy, and authentication extensions. See
>>    Section 11.6 for further discussion of this topic.
> Wait, how does this interact with the "earlier in this session" above?

I don't see that it's related. It MUST NOT use cached results for these
extensions, no matter when the caching was done.

Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | *** NOTE CHANGE ***
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Thus plc            |                            | Mobile: +44 7973 377646