ietf-nntp Generic Response Codes wording

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Mon Oct 13 00:35:30 PDT 2003

Peter Robinson said:
>>> I suggest this:
>>>   With the exception of the 500 response to mandatory commands,
>>>   the client MUST be prepared to receive any of these responses
>>>   for any command.
>> I'm not sure that fixes it.
> No?  I don't see that.

It's not clear to me that someone who would be confused by the original
wording would definitely not be confused by this.

> Either I am too close, or I don't understand the
> intended meaning.  Can you suggest alternative wording that does fix it?

What I've now got is:

    The client MUST be prepared to receive any of these responses for
    any command (except, of course, that the server MUST NOT generate
    a 500 response code for mandatory commands).

Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | *** NOTE CHANGE ***
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Thus plc            |                            | Mobile: +44 7973 377646