ietf-nntp LIST EXTENSIONS caching

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Fri Oct 10 11:15:05 PDT 2003

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

> Okay, here's the text I now have. Can people please comment on it? I
> will change the SHOULDs to MUSTs iff Russ tells me to.

The longer this discussion goes on, the more I am of the opinion that we
should just remove all discussion of caching LIST EXTENSIONS from the
document.  Since there aren't any security issues related to any of the
optional commands in the base doc, we can get by with neither
encouraging nor discouraging caching of these capabilities.  Any
extensions where caching is a definite no-no can be discussed within
those individual documents.

The IMAP, POP3 and SMTP RFCs make no mention of it, and this hasn't
caused any problems.  NNTP is very similar to these other protocols, so
let's just follow their lead and not try to be pioneers or reinvernt the
wheel.

This seems to be the path of least resistance, causes no harm, and gets
the draft out the door immediately.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127