ietf-nntp Generic Response Codes wording

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Fri Oct 10 08:53:35 PDT 2003

Peter Robinson said:
> It is very easy to misread the following:
>
>  | With the exception of mandatory commands and the 500 response,
>  | the client MUST be prepared to receive any of these responses
>  | for any command.
>
> as two separate exceptions (i.e. as saying that the client need not
> generally be prepared to receive a 500 response, and need not be
> prepared to receive any generic responses to mandatory commands).

True.

> I suggest this:
>
>   With the exception of the 500 response to mandatory commands,
>   the client MUST be prepared to receive any of these responses
>   for any command.

I'm not sure that fixes it.

> [ Is it appropriate to suggest wording changes such as this to 'stable'
>   sections at this stage? ]

Yes.

Such changes come - to my mind - within the bounds of Editorial Discretion,
and I have no compunction about just making them. This is limited to
changes that retain the intended meaning, of course, which this does.

Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | *** NOTE CHANGE ***
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Thus plc            |                            | Mobile: +44 7973 377646