ietf-nntp Draft 20 pre-release 3

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Fri Oct 10 08:07:00 PDT 2003

Rob Siemborski said:
> 5.3:
>
> depending on other changes. Furthermore, a server SHOULD NOT use cached
> results in relation to security, privacy, and authentication extensions.
> See Section 11.6 for further discussion of this topic.
>
> "Furthermore, a CLIENT..."

Oops. Thanks.

> And I still feel that this needs to be a MUST NOT.
[...]
> again, "to a server MUST check", and "MUST NOT rely on"
>
> While I can appreciate the desire to try to avoid this extra round trip,
> to leave any wiggle room in the realm of security related extensions
> defeats the entire point.

I don't have a personal issue one way or the other on SHOULD v MUST here.
However, I want Russ (as WG Chair) to tell me whether RFC 2119 allows
MUST in this context.

Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | *** NOTE CHANGE ***
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Thus plc            |                            | Mobile: +44 7973 377646