ietf-nntp LIST EXTENSIONS caching

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Fri Oct 10 03:30:45 PDT 2003

Maurizio Codogno said:
> For me it's ok, but I would like to point out that I have to
> read it twice to understand that "MUST NOT rely" is different from
> "MUST NOT use" (cached results).

Good point.

> Could a clarificating sentence be
> added in 5.3.2, like
>>   An NNTP client may cache results, but it MUST NOT rely on any
>>   cached results from this command, [...]
> Notice that "may" is not written in uppercase.

I've put:

    An NNTP client may cache the results of this command, but MUST NOT
    rely on any cached results, either from earlier in this session or
    from a previous session, remaining correct.

Does that make it clearer?

> The text in 11.6 is quite clear, btw.

Thanks.

Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | *** NOTE CHANGE ***
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Thus plc            |                            | Mobile: +44 7973 377646