ietf-nntp Draft 20 pre-release 2

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Thu Oct 9 16:53:10 PDT 2003

Russ Allbery wrote:

> Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com> writes:
>

>>The SMTP capabilities are not part of the greeting, they are part of the
>>EHLO command.  A client is not required to use EHLO, but is encouraged
>>to do so at the start of every connection.
>

> You're missing the point, I think.  You have to send either HELO or EHLO,
> so there's no round trip penalty.

You do not HAVE to send either.  Its recommended for the client to
announce itself to the server using one or the other, but not required.

There's no use in arguing this any further, the consensus (perceived or
otherwise) is to allow capabilities to be cached.  We'll wait and see
what the IESG review has to say about it.

I just looked back at the list archive and there have only been about
5-6 active members over the past year, give or take the odd post.  I'm
really curious to see what shakes out of the woodwork once a WG last
call and IESG review takes place.  I think the doc is fairly solid, but
with so few voices, who know?

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127