ietf-nntp Draft 20 pre-release 2

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Thu Oct 9 12:26:15 PDT 2003

Russ Allbery wrote:

> Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com> writes:
>

>>Also note that no IMAP, POP3 or SMTP client that I'm aware of caches the
>>capabilties list.  Why does an NNTP client need to be different?
>

> We covered this already.  NNTP clients are almost always anonymous.  IMAP
> and POP3 clients are practically never anonymous.  SMTP is not analogous
> since the capabilities list for SMTP is part of the greeting.

The SMTP capabilities are not part of the greeting, they are part of the
EHLO command.  A client is not required to use EHLO, but is encouraged
to do so at the start of every connection.  As in NNTP, the majority of
SMTP clients are anonymous.  IMO, SMTP + POP3 is very analogous to NNTP.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127