ietf-nntp Draft 20 pre-release 2

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Oct 9 11:33:42 PDT 2003

Rob Siemborski <rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> This section is broken in *dire* ways.  It contains a direct
> contradiction to section 5.3:

We just had a big discussion of this.  You could have weighed in then!  :)

> I believe that 5.3 is correct and that a client MUST NOT rely on cached
> versions of the extension list at any time.  This is in line with
> similar protocols that offer extension discovery commands.

It must not rely on cached versions of the extension list for security
extensions.  We just had a long discussion about this and I don't see any
reason why it can't rely on cached versions for non-security extensions.

If you disagree, could you please explain your reasoning?