ietf-nntp LIST HEADERS inconsistency issue

Charles Lindsey chl at clerew.man.ac.uk
Thu Oct 9 04:36:56 PDT 2003

In <3F842ED8.8040602 at oceana.com> Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com> writes:

>But a client shouldn't be trying to fetch a header which the server
>doesn't advertise.  This goes back to my trial-and-error complaint.

Not quite. If the client wants "please give me such articles with this
header that you can manage to find", then it takes the easy option and
asks. But if the client really means "I want to be quite sure that there
are no articles with this header", then it should consult LIST HEADERS
first, and adjust its behaviour accordingly.

Email: chl at clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.