ietf-nntp LIST HEADERS inconsistency issue

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Oct 8 08:35:52 PDT 2003

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

> This one is still in my mailbox and so should have been in the issues list:
>
> The handling of inconsistent overview databases is inconsistent
> between LIST HEADERS and LIST OVERVIEW.FMT.
>

>>My immediately inclination would be to say that you can't advertise things
>>in LIST HEADERS until they work for all articles, which would be the first
>>of your two options (although I don't think we need to say that HDR MAY
>>work for headers not listed by LIST HEADERS -- I'm not sure what would be
>>served by saying that explicitly).
>

> I think it makes it clear.

But a client shouldn't be trying to fetch a header which the server
doesn't advertise.  This goes back to my trial-and-error complaint.

>>Otherwise, we reintroduce the overview
>>mess and I think we've gotten the best solution to that one that we're
>>going to get.
>

> Indeed, which also has the benefit of consistency with LIST OVERVIEW.FMT.

If HDR is going to be implicitly tied to OVERVIEW for most
implementations, then it makes sense to treat them the same in the text.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127