ietf-nntp Extensions and MODE READER

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Oct 8 08:31:30 PDT 2003

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

> Our extensions in section 8 introduce five new commands:
>
>     HDR
>     LIST HEADERS
>     LIST OVERVIEW.FMT
>     LISTGROUP
>     OVER
>
> How should these interact with MODE READER on implementations where the
> latter actually does something? This isn't an area I'm familiar with.
>
> Possibilities:
>
> (1) We say that MODE READER is an abomination and these MUST work whether
> or not it's used.

Since the text doesn't advocate the continued use of MODE READER, should
we even bother to mention any interaction?  These are obviously commands
which would only be used by a reader, and whether or not they are
allowed would probably be an adminitrative/installation decision (e.g.,
for a reader-only or feeder-only config).

Just, my $.02, but I don't care either way.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127