ietf-nntp Extensions and MODE READER

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Wed Oct 8 01:13:11 PDT 2003

Our extensions in section 8 introduce five new commands:

    HDR
    LIST HEADERS
    LIST OVERVIEW.FMT
    LISTGROUP
    OVER

How should these interact with MODE READER on implementations where the
latter actually does something? This isn't an area I'm familiar with.

Possibilities:

(1) We say that MODE READER is an abomination and these MUST work whether
or not it's used.

(2) We allocate each of them to one of the groups:
- requires MODE READER first
- forbidden after MODE READER
- must work at all times.

At present, I have (2) with all five requiring MODE READER first. This
seems a non-brainer for LISTGROUP, by analogy with GROUP, but I'm much less
sure about the others, particularly the LIST variants. Can someone with a
relevant implementation please comment?

Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | *** NOTE CHANGE ***
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Thus plc            |                            | Mobile: +44 7973 377646