ietf-nntp Progress?

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Fri May 16 14:19:01 PDT 2003

On Fri, 16 May 2003, Ken Murchison wrote:

> I see that the list traffic has stalled again.  Is there any progress on
> BASE, STARTTLS, and the as-yet unreleased AUTHINFO, STREAM?

STARTTLS is vaguely blocked on getting updated text on return codes, which
I think we mostly resolved in the previous discussion; I've been meaning
to release another draft anyway, so perhaps I'll just let that continue to
slide for now.

I'm still responsible for AUTHINFO, I just haven't had time to devote to
it (the core text is all fine, but it needs to be beaten back into shape
since I pulled the TLS out into a separate document).

I kinda volunteered myself for MODE STREAM, I think; no reason for that
not being done at all as it should be fairly easy.  I expect to follow
Russ's opinion about it not being worth breaking compatibility
(even with a smooth transition path) to clean it up to use the extensions
mechanism in a more fundamental way, and no one seemed interested in
having CHECK and TAKETHIS to be offered except in conjunction; therefore
there should be no surprises there relative to the 2980 text.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org