ietf-nntp Currently outstanding issues

Charles Lindsey chl at clerew.man.ac.uk
Mon May 5 02:33:58 PDT 2003

In <Pine.LNX.4.44.0305021626190.4175-100000 at puck.litech.org> "Jeffrey M. Vinocur" <jeff at litech.org> writes:

>Query:  why can't we permit an extension to indicate the server supports
>longer lines for existing commands?  (It seems like this could be useful,
>and wouldn't break anything; clients not checking for that extension would
>stick to the 512-octet limit, and smarter clients would only do so if the
>server indicated that was acceptable.)

I did propose this once before, but nobody bit.

It would be quite simple. A parameter to the list extensions would
indicate how many octets were allowed. Default is 512.

Very useful for suck feeds that use NEWNEWS, and have to split their list
of requirements into smaller batches to fit in the 512.

Email: chl at clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.