ietf-nntp Articles without message IDs

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Mar 31 15:00:37 PST 2003

Jeffrey M Vinocur <jeff at litech.org> writes:

> I'm suddenly curious if any implementation (client or server) does
> anything special with <0>, or if everyone just merrily assumes
> uniqueness for Message-IDs.

I'm betting this is nearly as unimplemented as SLAVE.

> There are some funny implications for the restriction on IHAVE of such
> articles; for example, does that mean that a server pool can't transfer
> such articles internally -- or that it can't claim to be using NNTP if
> it does?

It means that such articles can't be transferred via NNTP, yeah.  IHAVE
isn't going to swallow non-unique weird message IDs (nor should it as part
of the protocol).

> Seems crufty, and the more I think about it, the more I'd be happy to
> see <0> done away with.

<0> does feel really crufty to me, but then I have a personal bias against
anything that sticks special tokens into the regular namespace.