ietf-nntp draft-ietf-nntpext-base-17

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Mar 31 00:39:59 PST 2003

Clive D W Feather <clive at demon.net> writes:

>> No, I am saying what I would _like_ the newsgroups file to contain in
>> the future. Hence the word "SHOULD", though I could live with "should".

> Hmm. Other opinions?

I think that "SHOULD" is ruling out widespread existing practice, which I
don't really see a justification for in this case, and "should" gets into
the sort of halfway handwaving that I think we should avoid.  Either it's
a protocol issue or it isn't.  If we're trying to provide useful
documentation for people writing NNTP software, which is more what I'm
worried about than attempts to change the world, I think we should be
clear that LIST NEWGROUPS isn't going to return the canonical list of
groups and they can't rely on it having any fixed relationship to the
active file.

(This is just a personal opinion, not a chair opinion.)