ietf-nntp Article concepts

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Mar 26 05:59:37 PST 2003

Charles Lindsey wrote:

> In <20030324221102.GD19264 at finch-staff-1.thus.net> "Clive D.W. Feather" <clive at demon.net> writes:
>
> >Russ Allbery said:
>
> >And, as you pointed out to me, we can't assume that an NNTP server is only
> >handling USEFOR-conformant articles. Can we safely assume that no such
> >article will ever arrive?
>
> I don't think we go out of our way to make the NNTP protocol useful for

But you also don't go out of your way to specifically limit NNTP to
news.  The fact is that NNTP _can_ transmit/serve the vast majority of
email.

> anything other than news (look at the mess IMAP got into when it strayed
> from its original Email brief :-( ).

I'm not sure what mess you're referring to, but let's try to leave this
propaganda on the USEFOR list (or don't bother with it at all).

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127