ietf-nntp LIST ACTIVE issues

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Tue Mar 25 04:36:30 PST 2003

In <Pine.LNX.4.44.0303241925221.7482-100000 at puck.litech.org> "Jeffrey M. Vinocur" <jeff at litech.org> writes:

>> > I'm a little concerned about the last sentence there.  I mean, a client
>> > has to do *something* should it encounter an unrecognized status.
>>
>> Not really. The client can attempt to post, refuse to post, or ask the
>> user whether it should attempt to post. That's about all that field tells
>> you in practice.

>Right, exactly.  So, which of those should the client do if the user tries
>to post to a group with an unrecognized status?

Eh? Surely that is a problem for the server.

These responses are informational. It may be useful for all sorts of
reasons for the client to know that a group is moderated (for example,
Turnpike can do its own posting to the moderator if it knows that).

It may be useful for the client to display to its user whether or not
posting is allowed. It may even prevent the user from trying to post if it
sees it is not allowed (or it may allow the attempt and see whether its
gets a failure response).

And if it does not understand one of these responses, then it just has to
do the best it can.

Currently, our draft recognizes responses 'y', 'x' and 'm'. We might
consider adding 'n' to the list.

Email: chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.