ietf-nntp LIST ACTIVE issues

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Tue Mar 25 04:00:41 PST 2003

Jeffrey M. Vinocur said:
> Oh, I don't care what they choose -- I was just wondering if we wanted to
> indicate some sort of guideline for the benefit of client authors.  Maybe
> they should just figure it out on their own...but that sentence struck me
> as something that would be rather frustrating if *I* were trying to write
> a client with only the spec to work with.
>
> If everybody thinks I'm being silly, that's certainly fine.

I don't think you're being silly, but I don't think this is within our
remit. We don't tell clients what to do with this flag anyway; it's just
potentially useful information. We say that "y" doesn't stop a post attempt
from failing, and we hint that "m" means it won't appear immediately. But
that's about it.

Basically, I can't see what else to say about these strings, whether known
or unknown.

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8495 6138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | *** NOTE CHANGE ***