ietf-nntp draft-ietf-nntpext-base-17

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Tue Mar 25 01:21:12 PST 2003

Russ Allbery said:
>> This is LIST ACTIVE.TIMES, right? In which case the specification
>> doesn't say that it can omit newsgroups arbitrarily.
> In practice, LIST ACTIVE.TIMES omits groups arbitrarily.

Fine, but that doesn't match the specification, which I'm therefore
going to have to change.

>> Is this an issue? The current specification - at least as I would read
>> it - is that LIST ACTIVE, LIST ACTIVE.TIMES, and LIST NEWSGROUPS should
>> produce the same list of groups given the same wildmat or absence
>> thereof.
> I don't think we should indicate that this is the case.  While it might be
> nice if all servers were configured that way (except for the ACTIVE.TIMES
> issue above), in practice a lot of servers create groups without adding a
> description so groups are randomly missing from LIST NEWSGROUPS.

And again we want to allow that as current practice?  Okay.

Is it reasonable to say that LIST ACTIVE must list all groups? Or is this
*also* allowed to leave stuff out (apart from for secrecy/authorisation
reasons)? Should the other two at least be required to be subsets of LIST
ACTIVE?

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 870 051 9937