ietf-nntp LIST ACTIVE issues

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Mon Mar 24 16:41:18 PST 2003

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Given that the field is informational by nature, I'd say that refusing to
> post is always the wrong choice, but I think that's also fairly apparent
> from the note that an unrecognized flag gives no information.  Generally,
> refusing to try things when you have no information is a bad choice.
>
> Either of the other two options seem fine to me; does it really matter
> which one a given implementation chooses?

Oh, I don't care what they choose -- I was just wondering if we wanted to
indicate some sort of guideline for the benefit of client authors.  Maybe
they should just figure it out on their own...but that sentence struck me
as something that would be rather frustrating if *I* were trying to write
a client with only the spec to work with.

If everybody thinks I'm being silly, that's certainly fine.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org