ietf-nntp LIST ACTIVE issues

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Mar 24 16:34:28 PST 2003

Jeffrey M Vinocur <jeff at litech.org> writes:
> On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

>> Not really. The client can attempt to post, refuse to post, or ask the
>> user whether it should attempt to post. That's about all that field
>> tells you in practice.

> Right, exactly.  So, which of those should the client do if the user
> tries to post to a group with an unrecognized status?

Given that the field is informational by nature, I'd say that refusing to
post is always the wrong choice, but I think that's also fairly apparent
from the note that an unrecognized flag gives no information.  Generally,
refusing to try things when you have no information is a bad choice.

Either of the other two options seem fine to me; does it really matter
which one a given implementation chooses?