ietf-nntp Article concepts

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Mon Mar 24 12:51:07 PST 2003

Charles Lindsey said:
> >   Note that this requirement applies only to the contents of
> >   communications over NNTP; it does not prevent a client or server from
>                                                   ^
> 						  the

[etc.]

Thanks; fixed.

> >   to meet the general requirements of NNTP, an article MUST NOT include
> >   the octet 0x00, MUST NOT contain the octets 0x0A and 0x0D other than
>                   ^                                 ^        ^
> 		  (US_ASCII NUL)           (US-ASCII LF)  (US-ASCII CR)
> >   as part of a CRLF pair, and MUST end with a CRLF pair.

There's an awful lot of "%x## (US-ASCII XXX)" in this specification.
I think I'd rather find a way to reduce it than increase it.

For example, would people be happy if, having mentioned ASCII and UTF-8 at
the start, I just write ASCII names? So that text would simply say:

      to meet the general requirements of NNTP, an article MUST NOT include
      NUL, MUST NOT contain CR or LF other than
      as part of a CRLF pair, and MUST end with a CRLF pair.

>>   The headers of an article consist of one or more header lines. Each
>>   header line consists of a header name, a colon, a space, the header
>>   value, and a CRLF in that order. The name consists of one or more
>    ^^^^^
>    content
> (header-content is the usage in both Son-of-1036 and Usefor)

Okay.

[Rest left for another message.]

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138