ietf-nntp LIST ACTIVE issues

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Mon Mar 24 12:30:08 PST 2003

Jeffrey M. Vinocur said:
>>    Other values for the
>>    status may exist; the definition of these other values and the
>>    circumstances under which they are returned may be specified in an
>>    extension or may be private to the server. A client SHOULD treat an
>>    unrecognised status as giving no information.
>
> I'm a little concerned about the last sentence there.  I mean, a client
> has to do *something* should it encounter an unrecognized status.

Not really. The client can attempt to post, refuse to post, or ask the
user whether it should attempt to post. That's about all that field tells
you in practice.

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 870 051 9937