ietf-nntp Response code issues

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Mon Mar 24 12:27:55 PST 2003

Russ Allbery said:
>>> Which reminds me: LIST EXTENSIONS has a response code 402 meaning
>>> "server has no extensions".

> There's some existing implementations of LIST EXTENSIONS; I don't know how
> much we care about those.  Other than that, I entirely agree.
> I think it's probably safe to just leave the 402 business out.  If there
> are existing servers that use it, the failure mode doesn't look too bad to
> me.

What I've put for now is:

   If the server does not support any extensions, it MUST return an
   empty list. The 402 response code is documented for historic reasons
   only; clients SHOULD handle it gracefully, but servers MUST NOT
   generate it.

and appropriate changes to the examples. That probably covers us best.

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 870 051 9937