ietf-nntp Raw 8bit in subject header

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Mon Mar 24 03:28:41 PST 2003

Yes, you need the Usefor list (try usenet-format-request at landfield.com).

>I didn't find anything in the current draft about this, at least
>nothing exact, so could anyone let me know if usefor allows or
>tolerates the use of raw 8 bit in the subject header under special
>circumstances.

Currently, a Subject-header containing raw 8-bit stuff is not compliant
with any standard. The correct way to handle it is to encode it with RFC
2047.

There was a proposal for Usefor to allow it, but only using the charset
UTF-8. It is now more likely that that facility will be put into a
separate experimental protocol.

>My current approach is to never change the subject line, even if it
>uses raw 8 bit or has an invalid encoding.

When you are faced with non-compliant input, there is never a "right" way
to handle it. Leaving it as it is in a followup may well be the best thing
to do in the circumstances (other than to encode it into RRFC 2047 if you
know what the charset is).

Email: chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.