ietf-nntp Collected minor issues

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Mon Mar 24 03:11:39 PST 2003

Russ Allbery said:
>>>   The reference to RFC 1036 specifying when parameters are case or
>>>   language specific is odd.  What are we delegating to RFC 1036 here?
>> The decision on whether header names, message-IDs, and such-like things -
>> when they appear in NNTP commands and responses - are case or language
>> specific.
> Hm.  For both RFC 1036 and RFC 2822, header names aren't case or
> language-specific (and message-ids have already been dealt with
> separately).  That makes me wonder if we couldn't simplify things here
> slightly by omitting this provision and simply stating that all such
> parameters are case-insensitive.

No, because these are by no means the only cases. For example, this would
require group names in GROUP to be case-insensitive, and would have nasty
implications for a GREP extension.

>> True. The bytes v octets thing is not a big deal over the wire, where
>> everyone sends 8 bit bytes, but they *are* different concepts on
>> non-POSIX systems (POSIX now requires 8 bit bytes).
>
>> Is there an IETF style guide on such things?
>
> Good question.  I don't know.  I seem to vaguely recall seeing something
> like that float by as an informational RFC, but I can't remember if it was
> just an I-D, let alone what the title might have been.

I'll make enquiries.

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 870 051 9937