ietf-nntp HDR parameter proposal

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Fri Mar 21 03:53:26 PST 2003

In <20030320102728.GH356 at finch-staff-1.thus.net> "Clive D.W. Feather" <clive at demon.net> writes:

>I wrote:
>> Other package names may be defined in revisions to this specification or in
>> other RFCs.

>Oh, and *if* we keep LIST OVERVIEW.FMT then the package name "OVERVIEW" can
>mean "everything listed by LIST OVERVIEW.FMT".

Yes, and I support keeping LIST OVERVIEW.FMT.

Practically speaking, many people will implement HDR using the overview
database (though that could mean the HDR command might fail on articles
received before the OVERVIEW.FMT was last changed).

So an alternative would be to say explicitly that
    HDR OVERVIEW
means you would get to see any header that would have turned up in any OVER
command that returned the same article(s).

Yes, I think that is the proper way to explain it, and dependency on LIST
OVERVIEW.FMT is no longer an issue. But it only works if BOTH OVER and
HDR extensions are supported (naturally).

Email: chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.