ietf-nntp LIST ACTIVE issues

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Mar 20 19:18:46 PST 2003

Charles Lindsey <chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> writes:

>> I'd support this if we were starting from scratch, but at least INN and
>> I bet a lot of other news software out there keys on the first
>> character of the mode and already uses a bunch of modes other than
>> those three, so it might be fairly hard to retrofit Usenet to follow
>> this model.

> Can you give examples of other modes that are currently provided by
> common servers?

Here are the ones that INN supports:

      y         Local postings are allowed
      n         No local postings are allowed, only remote ones
      m         The group is moderated and all postings must be approved
      j         Articles in this group are not kept, but only passed on
      x         Articles cannot be posted to this newsgroup
      =foo.bar  Articles are locally filed into the "foo.bar" group

I don't know if any other servers have other ones.