ietf-nntp MODE READER

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Thu Mar 20 05:39:15 PST 2003

In <yl3clilnqq.fsf at windlord.stanford.edu> Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> writes:

>Charles Lindsey <chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk> writes:

>> How can you tell which form of IHAVE you are using? Should you be able
>> to discover this from LIST EXTENSIONS, or should there be some different
>> response code?

>You can't, in INN's support.  You get one if you're connected as a transit
>system and another if you're connected as a reader system (if and only if
>that extension is enabled, which it isn't by default).

Ah! So if I have given MODE READER then I get the restricted IHAVE, and if
I have not given MODE READER then I get the full version (if they allow me
to use it at all).

BTW, is there any simple way for a client to detect whether it is in
READER mode or not (some servers put you into READER mode regardless when
you connect)?

Email: chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.