ietf-nntp Message IDs

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Thu Mar 20 08:50:57 PST 2003

Russ Allbery said:
>>>    Message-ids are, in this specification, opaque identifiers inside
>>>    angle brackets that uniquely identify messages.  They must satisfy the
>>>    following restrictions:

> Excellent.  Let's see if we can get consensus on this approach, then,
> which will get us out of the way of the ongoing discussion over what
> Message IDs should look like.  :)

I'm happy with this.

I can now see three, I think, reasons to have an "articles concept" section
in the document, so I'm going to add it in the next draft. I'll start
wordsmithing then. This will cover this stuff among others.

Charles, can you please provide a good example of the quoting/backslash
problem? Or is Russ's:

      <"abcd"@example.com>
      <"ab\cd"@example.com>

fine?