ietf-nntp Collected minor issues

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Thu Mar 20 00:42:15 PST 2003

Charles Lindsey said:
> Indeed so. The use of [...] requires agreement on the collating order. If
> it is US-ASCII (or you are in the C locale, which amounts to the same
> thing) then all is straightforward.

No it doesn't amount to the same thing (in the C locale in *C*, the collating
order is byte-by-byte comparison using the native character encoding as
unsigned characters; the native encoding need not be ASCII).

>> 8.6.5.2. Description (LIST NEWSGROUPS)
>
>>   The newsgroups file is normally tab-delimited.  Change "by one or more
>>   US-ASCII space characters" to "by one or more US-ASCII space or tab
>>   characters."
> One could go even further and mandate TABs, or at least SHOULD be TABs.

Given the contents, I can see no justification for a MUST and I'm not
convinced there's even an interoperability issue here. It's more an Ought
(to use Usefor terminology).

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 870 051 9937