ietf-nntp HDR parameter proposal

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Mar 19 20:47:20 PST 2003

Jeffrey M Vinocur <jeff at litech.org> writes:

> I think it will be useful for some clients (but can be ignored by those
> that don't wish the complexity), requires minimal programming and
> configuration effort for server coder and admin, and uses minimal
> bandwidth.

> Perhaps HDR BASE EXTRA could be simplified to HDR EXTRA?  Might make
> parsing marginally easier.

I went back and forth on that.  I didn't know if it might be useful for
software to just look for HDR BASE if that's what they care about.

> Potentially we could add a fifth possibility (here HDR BASE XREF seems
> like a more intuitive name than HDR XREF, I have to admit) for this
> case.

Anyone have any thoughts on the usefulness of this and in general on the
issue of Xref?  Charles?  What do you think of this, as compared to the
original proposal?