ietf-nntp Collected minor issues

greg andruk gja at meowing.net
Wed Mar 19 15:45:12 PST 2003

Russ Allbery wrote:

>I don't understand quite what you're getting at.  I would assume that
>UTF-8's collating order in the C locale is just the numeric order of the
>characters.

Strictly, C locale is ASCII only, but....

>  Surely the client wouldn't attempt to negotiate a locale with
>the server and would instead just assume C locale when constructing
>wildmats?

There really isn't a point to bothering.  In glibc, for example, nearly
all the UTF-8 locales (Canadian English is the sole exception in the
copy I'm peeking at right now)  link to one generic collating sequence.

Practically, collating isn't a big deal anyway, since the foo[abcde]bar
form will work regardless.